Punch-Drunk Love

UK Release Date. 7 February 2003
Certification. 15
Running Time. 1 hour 35 mins
Director. Paul Thomas Anderson
Cast. Luis Guzmán, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Adam Sandler, Emily Watson. 
Rating. 26%

Review.

From the outset, Punch-Drunk Love rarely follows the conventions and tropes of a traditional 90-minute romantic comedy. In Paul Thomas Anderson's film, a socially retarded Barry Egan (Adam Sandler) calls a telephone sex line to numb his loneliness [but with apparently little interest in engaging in actual phone sex]. Little does he know the consequences of this action will jeopardise his burgeoning romance with Lena Leonard (Emily Watson).

Although it is never spelt out in the film, Barry suffers from some form of anxiety disorder that manifests itself in what is at least severely low self-esteem - more likely self-loathing - coupled with extreme fits of rage.

The subtext of mental illness is confusingly handled. For the most part, Barry's irregularities are shamed and mocked by every single character; the constant harassment by his sisters reveals a family where emotional abuse is the normHe never actually seeks professional help (other than from his brother-in-law, Walter (Robert Smigel); 

Barry: "I wanted to ask you something because you're a doctor... I don't like myself sometimes. Can you help me?"

Walter: "Barry, I'm a dentist. What kind of help do you think I could give you?"

Barry: "I know that. Maybe you know other doctors?"

Walter: "Like a psychiatrist? "

Barry: "I don't have anyone to talk to things about and I understand it's confidential with a doctor. I'm embarrassed about that and I don't want my sisters to know."

Walter: "You want a number for a psychiatrist, I can get you one, that's not a problem. But what exactly is wrong?"

Barry: "I don't know if there's anything wrong with me because I don't know how other people are. Sometimes I cry a lot... for no reason."

Yet, by the conclusion of the film, Barry seems to have overcome his self-loathing and rage, all because he's realised the most important thing in his life is Lena. His problems apparently solved by, conveniently... love. Whilst the intention may be innocent enough, the world doesn't really need more myths about mental illness, least of all ones that profess love will solve everything. 

The non-sequential, chaotic storyline with relentless intrusions immediately gets into Barry's way of thinking. He may be autistic, but the film doesn't acknowledge this directly. He's not an unintelligent person, but he's also not a genius - and whilst he has mastered the art of salesmanship, he has not mastered human interaction. He is constantly interrupted or spoken over. 

The film's soundtrack swells like a migraine; inordinately loud at times, but aside from these bursts, there's a curious noise throughout. It reminded me of Lodge Kerrigan's Clean, Shaven, another film in which the soundtrack is the principal component in denoting mental illness, in this case, schizophrenia. The result is a genuinely unpleasant viewing experience. 

Comments